Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Adulting Awareness Week-Balancing Health and Life

Today i need to talk about a very important issue overlooked by many, Adulting Syndrome. 

Adulting Syndrome : suffering from being an adult with real life responsibility. 
Symptoms : knowing the right thing to do/recognizing daily obligations and actually doing them.
Treatment : suck it up.

The last week or so has been a little bit crazy for me. I started the process of finally finishing my education and getting my G.E.D and starting school. I want a better life for myself, not just financially but also for the reward of accomplishing something. While most of my friends joke about how i get to sit around all day they dont understand how worthless that can make a person feel. I Im ready to making a difference. (and to make enough to buy my dog rubies and an exact replica Sherlock Holmes outfit...but anyways...) My initial pretest scores were high enough that all i need are a few review classes then i can take the test and hopefully start College in the fall!! 

Heres the hard part : I still have CF (duh). The day to day with CF can be hard as is, the treatments daunting and the work to keep my health and fitness in a good range takes time and a lot of energy so adding in anything extra has to be done, in a way, carefully. Its good to push yourself to a certain extent however overexertion and stress can do more harm than good in some cases, and as always germs can play in a big role especially in a large public place like a school.

Although i believe my current health and lung infection isnt related to school or what ive been doing lately (its summer, downtown and beaches are happening!!!) but instead more of a tune-up or a flare up of the bugs i always carry in my lungs i know that i need to be careful with my workload. Approx 5 years ago i had to leave my job because i was draining myself and couldnt handle doing even simple tasks anymore due to the low lung function i had, and ill admit im nervous that ill be doing a repeat performance with my education but i also know how many people i have rooting me on and helping me in any way to achieve my goals. 

Im also slightly intimidated by the other people and the questions i know ill probably get about my port and what it does since its currently accessed. Last time i was in school i hid my disease like my life depended on it and while ive been open about everything my disease is and carries with it i still have that little part of me that is terrified of being labeled "the sick girl". Days when i might need oxygen or ivs are gonna be a little scary to me, but the silver lining is that ill be able to use that to spread a little awareness to my classmates!!

Im absolutely tired at the end of the day and my $1 mccafe coffee holds me together through my THREE HOUR night classes (ugh!) but in a way i feel great. I feel like at the end of the night when i go to bed ive gained a little more knowlege. Ive spent those 3 hours (seriously...ugh) learning and bettering myself and working towards a future i can be proud of. I want new lungs..one day...and i want to live out a life that means something with them. 

Adulting is hard. Its drainging. Its annoying....but its also awarding. Im very excited to see what happens later on down this path!!! 

No comments: