Wednesday, November 30, 2016

how do you measure success?

heyooo!! first off im going to be starting a series of video blogs, if theres any topics youd like me to cover or things youd like me to talk about leave them in the "leave me love" section or private message them to me!! also if you enjoy my blogs i highly encourage you to follow my instagram at yolksonyou24 and/or my twitter also theyolksonyou24 or even keep up with my day to day on my facebook page living breathless in the windy city <3 aaaaaand back to our regularly scheduled babbling!!


what do you picture when you think of success?

to me success isnt measured by the money in your pocket or how many cards you have in your wallet. your not better than another person because of the possessions you own. one life is not greater or more important than another.

growing up with CF this was fact. this was truth. my successes as a child were sometimes as simple as running in a game of kickball, that was hige! my successes as a teenager were staying out of the hospital. my successes now are far and beyond anything i ever dreamed id accomplish and even though i cannot work, i cant go to school, and i cant contribute to my household in many ways my life is just as important as every other life on this earth. i am extremely successful in life because i take it for what it is and i dont give up on it.

i mean look at me! talk about success im alive. im 26 and im alive when at birth the average age of survival for a person with cf was around 18 years old. ive been through the ringer yeah but im here, no amount of money can top life. dead men dont need cash or credit cards. a successful life is filled with experiences, which ive had plenty of. im not successful because i have a high paying job and live in a nice apartment but because ive never taken a day for granted. when i wake up i inhale as deep as my lungs will allow. i fill my chest with air and with each expansion of my rib cage i smile because i have one more day. i can fill it however i want to and lately ive decided to fill my days with a new kind of success : making an impact.

The thing with my disease is that its terminal. yes transplant will extend my life but it wont take away my cf. ive heard a lot of people say that they dont fear death they fear being forgotten. they want to make a difference. they want to make an impact on the world and leave their mark before they go and i do too. Aside from my work with Aleppo ive been working very hard for the CFF. every year i renew my team for the cystic fibrosis foundations annual great strides 5k and ive put my all into it this year. (not that ive slacked in the past weve always done well) but im really going for it.

Sitting at my computer making phone calls setting up events while also putting together a humanitarian project is exhausting and tiring but ive never been happier. i feel like im making a difference in the world again. so heres the word of the day. i feel successful.

no matter what you do please dont underestimate yourselves. dont underestimate the power you can have in the world. with illness its easy to feel like a leech but just by living your life to the fullest, doing what you can to help others who need it, and realizing your own personal accomplishments matter you are a success.

No comments: