Tuesday, September 20, 2016

im not #lit after all : college life for a night

the hype about college was always real, i think the majority of students graduating high school are thrilled at the idea of being away, going to school, meeting new people and experiencing the college life, whether it be a small school or a big 10 campus its a new chapter that so many look forward to. Movies and television seem to play up the crazy party side of school the most and it always seemed pretty over the top to me. dont get me wrong, at 18-21 i could hang with the best of them, i was always out (who am i kidding i was a beast!) till probably about a year ago, and all of a sudden i became a senior citizen. this past weekend however i went to family weekend at ISU to spend some time with the fam and hang with my little sisters. guys its official : i cant hang.

let me paint you a picture of what im sure was a normal night out for everyone, but my crotchety hag of a self saw things a bit differently!!

lets start around 8. my life here at home 8pm means making a snack, putting on some tv and chilling with my dog on the sofa before i go to bed for Hannah and her friends 8pm is hanging out and getting ready for the pregame. i had some coffee and did my best to make my face and hair look nice enough that people would think i was a part of the group and not a bridge troll that followed some kids to the bar. bring it to about 930/10. people start coming over an music is loud, but i dont know a single thing theyre playing, these kids love them some biebs though! (my spice girls got turned off pretty quick, im not sure anyone actually knew what it was but me) and my tired was in full force!! i mean the poloroid was a pretty accurate description of my feelings at the time...again, self admittedly crotchety here.

heres where it got me though : "is everyone ready? were taking the jungle bus downtown"

jungle bus. why? i dont know and i dont know what i expected at the moment but it was not what pulled up. this was an old school bus that shuttled kids to downtown for a few bucks, this thing was decorated like a frat house on steroids. the woman driving was insane and it was the closest ill ever get to riding on the Knight Bus, except there were dogs on it. poodles. any turn couldnt brought a pup to the face it was an honest concern of mine.

so we get there in one piece and the second i stepped off the bus i knew i was out of my element. music could be heard from the streets and lines were forming, no quieter sit down pub atmosphere going on here i was gonna have to put on my big girl panties and suck it the hell up, the only issue was that they didnt wanna let me into the bar because my baby face doesnt pass for 21 let alone almost 26 hahah, my little sister had to convince them i was of age. at that point a drink was pretty welcome, and a few more after that :)

it ended up being a really good night, being able to go out with my little sister was never something i thought id get the chance to do whether it be from family friction or i just wouldnt be around for it im glad i got the oppertunity. it was also kind of a look into the life down a road i didnt take. i left high school to work and i never experienced any part of the college scene so it was cool to be there, if i could do it all over again im not sure if id go somewhere like isu but for ONE night, it was good.

in a few weeks ill be headed to milwaukee for my youngest sisters family weekend, guess i better put those big girl pants in the wash and maybe grab an extra coffee that day!




No comments: